Wednesday 29 October 2014

Swiss meringue buttercream

I've always wanted to try out Swiss meringue buttercream (SMBC) but the fear of failing always puts me off.  The method sounds complicated and I don't know anyone that's made it to give me advice.

What made me try this for the first time, it's because my son's birthday party was coming up, he wanted a Spiderman cake.  The party is held at a soft play center and the cake would be left out for 2 hours. Ok, so cream cake is definitely a no no!
But I dislike buttercream as its too sweet.
So I had only one choice and that is SMBC!
So, I googled Swiss meringue buttercream, there's like a million recipe but which one should I try?
I follow Sweetapolita and I love her site, I remember seeing a SMBC she's made for a ruffle cake and I decide to try her version. I have made 1/3 of the recipe to try it out, after a successful attempt I made more!
Surprisingly, it's not difficult to make and it is smooth and very fluffy!


 Ingredients:
100g egg whites (3 large eggs)
165g granulated sugar
226g unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Before you start, leave the butter out on the worktop to reach room temperature and cut into cubes.

 In a mixing bowl, add the sugar and egg whites together over a saucepan of simmering water.
Making sure the mixing bowl doesn't touch the water.
Whisk constantly but gently until it reaches 160f (this took 6 minutes)
Transfer the egg mixture into a stand mixer bowl.
Using the whisk attachment beat on high to stiff peaks and the meringue should be stiff and glossy, I beat for 6 minutes and the meringue have cooled down and the bowl should feel warm but not hot.

Switch to a paddle attachment and on medium speed, add the cubes of butter piece by piece and beat well in each addition. Once all the butter have been added, whisk on high speed.
The buttercream at this stage looks curdle but don't fret! Keep beating and after a few minutes it would come together and slowly the buttercream becomes fluffy and silky.

Add the vanilla extract or colour you desire and this can be used immediately.

Look how fluffy it looks! So happy with the results and if you haven't tried SMBC yet, what are you waiting for?
I will be making this again!


No comments:

Post a Comment