Wednesday 27 November 2013

Orange Chiffon cake


 
 
Oh my love for chiffon cakes, I've been making so many I've lost count. 
I still remember how my first failed miserably! 
I couldn't figure out what went wrong? It collapsed and the sponge was too heavy. 
 I blamed the recipe and moved on to another yet failing again! I've tried so many different recipes from the Internet to baking books not one gave me the perfect chiffon!  

I didn't want to give up so I started comparing different recipes on the internet. 
There were hundreds of variations and all the pictures looked so good with big fluffy cakes but none really gave me satisfiying results.
Fed up searching, I started to experiment with the last recipe which was quite close to a successful chiffon that I've baked.
I made 3 adjustments to it and I made my first "Perfect" chiffon cake! 

I'm sharing this recipe hoping you will never fail on a chiffon cake! 
Ever! 
But having said that, if you do fail it's not my recipe. 
It's probably your oven! 
I've given this recipe to a few friends and they all have different results! One from being under baked and the other over baked. I bake mines at 180c for an hour and it is perfect every time.

My recipe is for a large chiffon cake. I couldn't buy a smaller tube pan as they never have them in stock. So this is why I've created this recipe to fit into my huge 10 inch tube pan. 

So you'll need a 10 inch chiffon tube pan or you could split it into two smaller tube pans. 
But cooking time will be less. You need to work that out as I haven't baked anything smaller. 

This recipes is for an Orange chiffon cake, you can replace the orange juice with other liquids to make different flavours.
 


 
Ingredients: 
Zest of two oranges
130g fresh orange juice

6 egg yolks
70g caster sugar
95g corn oil
1/4 Tsp salt
155g plain flour
1 & 1/2 Tsp baking powder

7 egg whites
70g caster sugar
3/4 Tsp cream of tartar

Method:
  Sift flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
Place the egg yolk and 70g of sugar in a bowl and whisk, whisk this till you get to the ribbon stage.
 
Add the oil and whisk till your batter looks like thin mayonnaise.
 
 
Add the orange juice and zest and using a ballon whisk mix until combined.
 
 
Add the sifted flour mixture to the batter and gently whisk unil it has all combined.

 
 You should have a thick batter with air bubbles. Set aside and move on to the next stage.

 

In a stand mixer, whisk egg whites till foamy and add the cream of tartar.

 

When the whites reach soft peak add remaining 70g sugar gradually till stiff peaks.

 
Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter till it all combines.

 

 

Continue adding 1/3 of the meringue until you have combined all mixture together.

 

Once you have mix all the meringue in and no streaks are visible, your batter should look like this. Thick and very fluffy.

 

Carefully pour in the batter to your tube pan.

 

Bake in a preheated oven at 180c for 1 hour.
The chiffon will look like this after 30 minutes, if it is browning too fast then cover it with some foil.

 

After an hour, check with a skewer to see if it's baked through.

 

Turn it upside down immedately to cool.
I've raised mines on a glass to let the air flow to it so it cools quicker.

 

Once cooled down completely, about an hour.
 Release it out the pan and there you have it, one big fat fluffy chiffon cake!

 

It truly is soft and fluffy and since having this recipe, I've not once failed!

 

 


 


25 comments:

  1. It's perfect, i love it and i love your blog. I'm your follower.
    You are invited to my blog, it will be a pleasure.
    Regards,
    Isabel.
    Http://obsesionporloscupcakes.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabel,
      Thanks for the comments. I'm now following you too! can't wait to try some of your recipes.
      Best regards,
      Mandy

      Delete
  2. hi,Mandy. must use tube pan to bake The chiffon cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's best to use it so it helps the cake rise evenly, but a viewer on my facebook have tried it in a square cake tin and it worked for her. Though she thinks it wasn't soft enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mandy, I want to do pandan favour.. How should I change the ingredient? Ignore the orange and change to pandan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Agnes, I have made pandan flavour with this recipe by replacing the orange juice with 120g of coconut milk and 1. Tbsp of pandan essence. It still comes out perfect.

      Delete
  5. Hi...Mandy... May I know any replacement for cream of tartar? Can use baking soda or baking powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Remy, if you haven't got cream of tartar you can use lemon juice or corn starch. Don't add baking powder or baking soda to the egg whites.

      Delete
  6. hi mandy for this recipi wht should b the tin size

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mandy

    The Big Tsp... does it stand for Tea spoon or Table spoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsp means teaspoon
      Tbsp means tablespoon

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the recipe mandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe! Hope to try it one day!
    -Shirley-

    ReplyDelete
  10. ur recipes are perfect but plzzz also give measurements in cups because I don't have gms measurements and at that point I got confused...... from ur big fan and follower...sumaiya Khalid... from S.K's baking journey......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sumaiya,
      there are online conversion if you google it, I don't work with cups and always convert cup measurement to grams.

      Delete
  11. hi, Mandy I love YOUR blog it is soooo helpful and encouraging!! I have a Q about this lovely chiffon cake which looks AMAZING!!!... if I wanted to do a simple vanilla version what would i substitute the liquid orange for? Does this recipe require a liquid ingredient to succeed? Secondly if wanted to add buttercream to the top of this cake would it hold or would the butercream be too heavy? Thanks so much in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually use water and 1 tsp vanilla extract for a vanilla chiffon. If you want to add buttercream, use a thin layer.

      Delete
  12. Hi Mandy.....
    Great n perfect cake!
    Just curious one thing, why it is needed to whisk the yolks to the ribbon stage or creamy stage for this receipe, while your pandan chiffon need not......?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry..... typo. Is your oreo chiffon instead of pandan chiffon....

      --Candice--

      Delete
    2. oh no, both recipes are whisked to thick and fluffy.

      Delete
  13. Hi Mandy, I agree with you the oven makes the difference.I just baked with your recipe. Over bake but still taste yummy. Did you use top and bottom heat? Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mandy,

    Can I use a hand whisk to fold in the egg whites? Noticed you used that? I always use a spatula to fold. If can use hand whisk, that will be easier for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a balloon whisk to fold as I find it easier, use what you feel comfortable with but just be careful not to deflate the batter.

      Delete
  15. Hi Mandy, did you add grease and flour to the tube pan before adding the mix? thank you

    ReplyDelete