Saturday 30 November 2013

Gingerbread Man


Gingerbread Man, gingerbread trees and gingerbread house, oh it's Christmas and will you be making some too? 
This year my children will be making some as gifts to go with the presents. 
This makes it a little special for family & friends as its all made by them. 

I like this simple gingerbread recipe, as it doesn't use all the mixed spices like nutmeg, clove & cinnamon.  I'm not too keen on all the strong spices with shop bought gingerbread biscuits but this recipe simple & nice. And children are less likely to eat it if there's too much spices. 
But you can add a little of each if you prefer. 

This is a great way to get your children involved in baking. 
Baking biscuits makes less mess and they get excited eating their own made bakes. 




Ingredients:

200g plain flour 
85g soft brown sugar
55g butter
1/2 egg
2. Tbsp golden syrup
1/2. Tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Tsp ground ginger
Method:

Place the flour, ground ginger, bicarbonate of soda and butter into a bowl. 
Rub butter into the flour until it looks like bread crumbs. 


Add brown sugar, syrup & egg mix to the dry ingredients to form the dough into a ball. 



On warmer weathers, you can chill this for 15 minutes in the fridge. 


My Christmas cookie cutters. 


Roll out onto a lightly floured Worktop about 1/2 cm thick.


My little helper really enjoyed helping mummy. 


Cut out the shapes of gingerbread men & trees and lay it on a baking tray with baking paper. 


For the gingerbread men I used chocolates for the buttons and raisins for the eyes. 
For the Christmas trees I used shimmer pearls as lights. 
My children really enjoyed being involved in baking. This is something that they did together while I washed up. 


Bake in a preheated oven at 180c for 10 - 15 minutes. 
Take out the oven to cool completely. 

My son loved it so much he ate 3 in one go! When I asked him who made them, he proudly said "me & jer jer" (meaning sister in Cantonese). 

No comments:

Post a Comment