Thursday 2 January 2014

Mango Mousse cake




 
 
Prepare an 8 inch sponge cake.
 Recipe is here
 
 
Cut into 3 equal layers ( my son inspecting my cake)
 
 
Recipe for the mango mousse.

Ingredients:

350g whipping cream
300g mango puree
3. Tbsp icing sugar
10g gelatin
60g water

Method:

Soften the gelatin with water and dissolve into liquid, you can do 2 x 20 second burst in the microwave until it has melted.
Once the gelatin has cooled, pour into mango puree and mix well.
Whisk the whipping cream until mousse state and add icing sugar.
Fold the cream into the mango puree and wait 10 mintues, the mousse will thicken slightly and you are ready to use it.
 
Here is a short video of how my cream is beaten to Mousse state.

How To make this cake
 
 





Using a 9 inch spring form tin, place a layer of sponge on the bottom and pour the mango mousse over it. Make sure the sides are covered and tap on the worktop so no air is trapped inside.
 
Continue with all 3 layers until you have covered the top of the last sponge with mango mousse, then tap the tin again to let out any air.  Chill in the fridge at least 4 hours but best if left overnight.
 
Take out the fridge and using very hot water, soak a flannel or a tea towel and wrap around the side of the tin for a mintue. Then run a flat blade all around the side of the mousse cake to ensure it does not stick to the cake tin. This helps releasing the mousse cake easier and won't damage the mousse.
 

Whisk up some cream and coat the side of the mousse cake thinly to cover up any gaps or creases.
 
I've whipped up 150ml of whipping cream & add 1.Tbsp if icing sugar, you don't have to do this if you do not want more cream on your cake.
 
Place cream into a piping bag with a round nozzle and pipe big balls of cream around the outside of the mousse cake. Chill in the fridge for half an hour and prepare your fruits.
Then decorate spacing out and cut into different size for texture and colour.

 
For the sides and the top of the cake, I used 100g mango puree with 1. tsp of soften gelatin dissolve and mixed in. The side of the cake, I used a back of a large spoon and dipped some mango puree and coat on the cake.  For the middle of the cake, the mango puree is simply piped in a swirly line.
 
This cake is really soft and melts in the mouth.
 
Perfect for any occassion.
 
I hope you like my cakes and would try this Mango mousse cake.
If you have any questions, you can message me or you can find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/mandysbakingjourney
 
If you have made this, please share a picture with me.

 





17 comments:

  1. Where do you get the mango puree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther, I'm in UK, and when mangoes are not in season I buy tinned mango pulp which is available in supermarkets. You can make it by blending mango flesh and pass through a sieve

      Delete
  2. May I know how you transfer the cake from the 9" spring form tin to the cake board?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I've shown how to transfer a mousse cake onto a cake board in my durian mousse cake recipe, take a look http://mandysbakingjourney.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/durian-mousse-cake.html

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your wonderful creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sy, thank you for stopping by and leaving me this lovely message. Regards Mandy.

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking to make a mango cheese mousse cake for my boyfriend's mom as Mother's Day cake. And you post this Mango Mousse cake in time. Haha! Thanks alot for sharing this lovely cake's recipe. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mandy..
    can I know what brand is ur whipping cream..
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Siti, it's just a supermarket brand. I am in UK and its normal whipping cream.

      Delete
  6. Hi Mandy, may I know which brand of gelatin powder you used? My mousse didn't set and I ended up freezing the cake to prevent it from collapsing.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine,
      I use a supermarket brand, I'm in UK and it's available in any supermarket.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for your recipe. It's exactly what I want to make. Such a perfect cake for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I was wondering if it's possible for you to share the recipe for your sponge again as the link doesn't exist from the link above...or do you just use your genoise sponge recipe???thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete